+91 495 2730220 nirmalahospitalclt@gmail.com

Glimpses of Growth

1937 August 15th - Establishment of a small dispensary at Vellimadukunnu, Calicut, by an Italian Jesuit missionary Fr. Edward Beretta S.J. along with a lay Italian missionary Miss Rita Azzori for the treatment and medical relief of poor people in the area. The records show that more than 3200 patients were treated in this dispensary within the first six months of its inception.
1938 Fr. F.X. Rocca S.J. another Italian missionary took charge of the service of the dispensary and in the same year two sisters (trained nurses)belonging to the Congregation of Sisters of Charity joined to further expand the activities.
1940-45 The selfless service extended by this dispensary during the world war second was commendable
1943 Constructed new buildings with the help of benefactors for the effective treatment of victims of the epidemics like cholera, filaria and maleria and thus saved many lives during the period.
1947 The small dispensary was transformed into a 25 bedded hospital with the construction of new OP section and General Ward.
1952 A renowned Italian surgeon Dr. Fortunato Fasana, joined the hospital and under him the growth of the hospital gathered momentum. This doctor is still fondly remembered by the people of Malabar.
1953 Rev. Fr. Vergottini S.J. took charge as the director and he was the driving force behind the expansion of the small hospital into a 70 bedded hospital. During his tenure Operation theatre and Doctors Quarters were constructed and X-ray department was established.
1960 A TB ward was opened under the leadership of Dr. Hudgwiq
1964 Rt. Rev. Dr. Aldo Maria Patroni, the Bishop of Calicut Diocese handed over the administration of Nirmala Hospital to the Congregation of Ursuline Sisters of Mary Immaculate. Mother Stefania Murelli, the then Delegate superior of the mission accepted the invitation and Sr. Aloysia Vaz was appointed as the first Administrator of the hospital.
1966 Sr. Dr. Giovanna Alberoni took the leadership as the administrator and medical superintendent which marked a head start towards further expansion and development. The former TB ward was converted into maternity section with an addition of 35 beds.
1968 The hospital got registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
1969 With a view to train excellent nurses we started the School of Nursing with a student strength of six which would subsequently be increased to 30 students.
1970 New building for hospital canteen was constructed and started functioning during the year.
1972 An Intensive Care Unit was constructed and started functioning with the help of Mavoor Gualior Rayons Company.
1973 A separate deluxe block with 25 private rooms christened as 'St. John's Block' and Nurses Hostel were inaugurated.
1975 With the addition of general wards with a total strength of 60 beds during the year, the hospital had grown into a 225 bedded multi specialty facility. In this same year to impart laboratory training to interested students the School of Medical Lab Technology was started. The Vianney Home, a block for priests, was also constructed.
1976 Additional departments such as ENT and Ophthalmology started functioning.
1978 Comprehensive growth of the people/families in the locality through the empowerment of women was always our priority and keeping this idea in mind the management started a separate department called Community Health Dept. which conducted many training programmes.
1985 Doctors' Quarters and Laboratory building constructed and inaugurated.
1986 Orthopaedic department started functioning.
1998 Neurology block with Neuro-ward, Neuro-ICU and Physiotherapy department was inaugurated.
2003 A multi-storied new OPD Block was constructed and inaugurated. Department of Radio-diagnosis was expanded with the installation of Spiral CT Scan Unit. Nirmala College of Nursing was also started.
2007 Nirmala Heart Institute was inaugurated with a Cath-lab.
2008 Dialysis Unit was opened.
2015 Hospital has been awarded with NABH Safe - I certification.
2016 A five storied building with state of the art facilities of Casualty, Critical Care, ICU, OT, Modern X-ray and Laboratory set up has been constructed.
Chapel